Fire Safety

In the Home

  • Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly, batteries should be changed twice a year.
  • Check fire extinguishers regularly to ensure they are in good working capacity.
  • Practice your family's fire escape plan so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency. This is important for those with young children.
  • Properly store household chemicals and other flammable materials.
  • Keep stairs and landings clear for safe evacuation in case of an emergency.

BBQ Safety

  • Remember to always open the lid before turning on the gas valve.
  • Keep flammable objects away from the hot barbecue.
  • When you finish, turn the valve off first to allow the gas in the hose to be burned off, then turn off the burner so no gas remains trapped in the hose.
  • Allow your barbecue to cool completely before covering it.
  • Do not leave the barbecue unattended when in use.
  • Clean the grill regularly to reduce the risk of grease fires.
  • Don’t BBQ in an enclosed space, ensure there is proper ventilation.


In the Home

  • Do not leave stove or oven unattended and use a timer to remind you when to check it.
  • Keep flammable objects away from the stovetop.
  • Lack of maintenance is a major cause of dryer fires. It is important to check the lint filter after each use and clean it. (The vent pipe should be metal and not plastic.)
  • Check all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly to make sure they work. It’s the law for all Ontario homes to have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas.


Christmas Trees

  • Be cautious of the Christmas tree you choose as lights can cause dry trees to catch fire.
  • When Christmas is over it is important to dispose of the tree before it dries out and becomes a fire hazard.

Outside the Home

  • Make sure your house/civic address is visible from the road for emergency services.
  • Remove leaves and garbage from carports and garages, heat from vehicles and other machinery can cause fire to these materials.
  • Properly store fuel and pool chemicals to avoid leakage.
  • Let power equipment cool before bringing it inside to reduce possibility of a fire.
  • Check with your township office or city hall before starting a controlled burn.

Bonfires/Brush Fires/Campfires

Bonfires and Brush Fires can get out of hand quickly and have the possibility of causing damage to your home and property or others nearby. There are multiple preventative measures that can be implemented to reduce the risk of a loss occurring.

  • While a fire ban is in place do not have a bonfire or brush fire.
  • Bonfires should be in a proper fire pit.
  • Pit should be a minimum of 25 feet away from buildings and combustibles.
  • Fires need to be supervised at all times


Fireplaces and Woodstoves

  • On an annual basis it is a good idea to have your woodstoves and fireplaces inspected to ensure they are functioning properly.
  • Never use a flammable liquid to start a fireplace.
  • Fireplaces should have appropriate covers/screens to protect your home from embers escaping the enclosure.


Space Heaters

  • Never place clothing or any other objects on a space heater to dry.
  • Keep any flammable object a safe distance from a space heater.
  • Turn space heaters off when you leave the house or go to bed.
  • Don’t place space heaters on or near furniture or curtains.

Image Map